I try to view every month’s first day as a fresh start, wiping out all the things I meant to do, but didn’t, in the previous month. I don’t always clean the slate as well as I’d like to on a monthly basis, but New Year’s Day always resets things for me in a big way. It’s sort of the inverse of resolutions; I’m letting go of the past, rather than anticipating the future, although it does allow for forward movement.
So, all the words I didn’t write, all the characters I didn’t create, all the murders that didn’t happen (well, that’s probably a good thing, all considered) — I’m officially letting go of them now, so I can work on what I’ve got lined up for 2016.
My plans are pretty substantial, so I’ll need as clear a head as possible! The fourth Helen Binney book is due for release in March (and has been written and edited), the third Danger Cove quilting mystery is due for release in the late summer (it’s in first draft, with MUCH work to do on it), and I’m starting to work on both the fifth Helen Binney book and a Danger Cove farmers’ market mystery for 2017. Plus, I’ve got a secret project that I’m hoping will debut in the second half of 2016, although it’s more likely it will be 2017.
So, before I start getting overwhelmed with the prospect of all that work (fun work, but work nonetheless), here’s what I’ve got going now:
Primary WIP(s) for the month
- Second draft of Robbing Peter to Kill Paul (Danger Cove Quilting Mystery #3)
- Secret project, continue the first draft
Status of other WIP(s)
- Monkey Wrench in the Works (Danger Cove Quilting Mystery short story), first draft done
- Untitled Danger Cove Farmers’ Market mystery, cogitating
- A Darling of Death (Helen #5), outlined
- A Display of Death (Helen #6), cogitating
- A Dinner of Death (Helen short story), cogitating
- A Stinkin’ Plot (mystery set on garlic farm), complete
- Rhubarb Pie Before You Die (garlic farm #2), cogitating
- One Cat For The Road (Crazy Cat Lady series, post-apocalyptic setting), done
- Two Cats Are Better Than One (Crazy Cat Lady series), third draft done
- Three’s A Clowder (Crazy Cat Lady series), cogitating and outlining in spare moments
- Four Cat Night (Crazy Cat Lady series), cogitating
- Victoria and the Vapors (homage to Sherlock Holmes), brainstorming
- Secret Project, outlined and a partial draft
- Non-fiction book for the XLH Network, Inc., cogitating